Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Passing on camping stories

We were fortunate that we were at Camp Selkirk during the formative years of our boys' lives. They climbed the trees, rode on the trailer, followed George around, and of course wished that they were old enough to work at camp. I think some of the staff became "heroes" in a way...they seemed so much older and cooler to two little boys.

So once in a while we find ourselves telling stories, laughing about the things they did and of course wishing that more children had those kind of memories. As I reflect on all this I wonder - do you tell Selkirk stories to your kids? Do you remind them of the wonderful heritage that this place afforded them?

Every story needs to begin with..."Once upon a time there was a wonderful camp; Camp Selkirk..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I mention Camp at times, but with my kids being 5 and 2, it doesn't mean much to them yet.

I'm sure I'll keep the camp stories going, as they get older. And then there's the many photo albums to look through!

I heard camp stories from my Dad, Uncle & older cousins, as I grew up. It's a tradition!