Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Camp Romances

Ahhhhhh yes this topic had to surface sooner or later didn't it ... camp romances! Natalie (Hann) Silke sort of alluded to this briefly in a previous comment.

If we're all honest with ourselves here folks, did we really work at camp to earn a bit of spending money or to gain some valuable "work experience"? Did we really go to Senior Music Camp to improve our theory, vocal, or instrumental skills?? Did we really go to camp to get more serious about our relationship with God??? Well of course not!!! Face it people ... we all just wanted to hook up! HAHA!

On a more serious note though, camp for some did end up being that place where a friendship developed into relationship, and that relationship later lead to marriage! For others (like me!) camp romances just turned out to be a dismal case of heartbreak hotel, LOL. There were even those who predicted that such and such a couple would never make it long term, and Sherri (Sturge) Lavender has a neat little example about this.

Did that exciting camp romance of yours eventually lead to a wonderful marriage?! Will your story of love keep us oozing for more? We want to hear about it!

Here is a picture of two friends from the summer of 1994 who became a happily married husband and wife! Who ever would have predicted this one?! Can you name the couple? Shout it out!

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

8 comments:

Fred and Wendy said...

Actually I would have never guessed this romance. Is this picture not from 1995? It looks to have too much grass in front of the dining hall for 1994 - the year the cabins were completed!

Anonymous said...

CARLA & JON!
So sorry I forgot to mention you earlier in my comment.

Carla said...

Okay so that is the most hilarious picture and I do have to agree that back then even I never would have imagined that I would marry THE infamous Jonny Boy. Turns out to be the best thing that came out of camp for me. I love you honey!!

Oh and it was 1994. I didn't work at camp in '95.

Carla

Fred and Wendy said...

Of course - in 1995 we paved the paths ridding ourselves of the gravel! We had to wait for the soil to settle following all the construction of the spring of 1994.

The War College said...

I imagined this everday since I met Carla Sturge. Who didn't???

Anonymous said...

This seems to be the most suitable place for me to leave my first comment since for me this is what camp was really about! I spent four great summers at Selkirk when my parents were the DYS's from '86 to '89. Then was on some music camp faculties in the following years with the Waters (who did a great job of making the former DYS's kid feel welcome).

None of my many bi-weekly Selkirk romances turned into marriage, but I was seriously smitten with one lovely blonde lifeguard in '89 that did go on to break my heart. (She will laugh if she reads this I am sure).

Anyway, this a great new site and I look forward to catching up with some of my old friends through this blog.

Anonymous said...

I had a couple romances while working at camp....but it wasn't until my last year, and actually was a camper when I met my hubby, but never started dating until about a couple years later.

Sue Matthews said...

None of my camp romances turned into anything serious either, but I did serve as a bridesmaid when my camp boyfriend married a friend of mine 6 years later (Rob & Melissa Gaus)!