Monday, February 19, 2007

About the DYS

(1987 Kitchen Staff)

Love them or loathe them, the role of the DYS was an extremely important one at camp. For those of us on camp staff, leaving our parents for the whole summer usually for the first time, the DYS's became surrogate parents for us. As campers, they were part of the whole picture that made camp fun.

I remember several DYS's throughout my time at Selkirk, the Piercey's, the Young's, the Waters's (although I didn't spend much time at camp in their day), it was Captains Doug and Betty Ann Lewis who had the biggest impact on my life.

My sister and I had applied for and been turned down for jobs at camp in the summer of 1987. Captain and Mrs. Lewis couldn't find enough workers for their early weekend camps and they heard that because of construction at our school, our school year had ended in May, so we we were available for work. We were hired for the weekend camps and both ended up getting hired for the whole summer. We were pretty excited.

I remember at the beginning of the summer, Mrs. Lewis told us that if we were ever in trouble we should buy her a Diet Coke from the canteen and come and talk to her about it. I'd hate to guess how much money I spent on Diet Coke that summer.

Several years ago, as I was working as the Youth Director at my corps here in Windsor and was on faculty at Camp Glenhuron music camp, now Majors Doug and Betty Ann Lewis came to visit Camp Glenhuron in their new roles at Ontario West DHQ (before the amalgamation). I was one of the first people Mrs. Lewis saw when she got to camp. At least 12 years had gone by since we had seen each other, but she still greeted me with a warm hug. She introduced me to whoever she was with and said, "This girl worked really hard for me at camp, but her sister caused me all kinds of trouble!" Now, I could have let that go, but in respect of my sister's honour, I had to correct her and say she had gotten us confused.

No matter what I did, or how many consecutive early curfews I had, I knew that the Lewis's loved me. I was surprised when they hired me back the next summer and they were surprised when I got there the second summer and worked really hard for them! They are great people of God who loved all of us on their staff and every camper who came through the gates.

Who was your DYS and what memories do you have?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you wish digital cameras were the norm back in those years?

Something I noticed in this picture is the Camp Grace posted on the wall behind the staff. Sherri and I spent some time last year recalling those graces. How many can you list? And what happened to those word boards attached to the walls?

J9 said...

There were 5 of them:
- Be present at our table Lord
- We thank you for the world so sweet
- All good gifts
- Johnny Appleseed
- Lord I thank you for the joy of living

I can remember all the words, if you want them....

Anonymous said...

Sue--thanks for the correction!! Don't remember hearing that story.

I saw the Lewis' at my corps when I lived in London, 11 or 12 years after camp staff, and received the same warm greeting.

As Sue mentioned, the Lewis' are the DYS's I worked most with. I worked under the Waters' as a councellor, but you don't get as close to the DYS's in that role. They were still good leaders though!

J9 said...

I was a student when the Pierceys, Lewis', and Youngs were there. (maybe others, but I can't remember) I worked under Fred&Wendy Waters, and under Norm&Lois Garcia. Unfortunately, Fred&Wendy & I didn't get along too well...but I'd like to think that's behind us!

Norm & Lois were the ones I worked with the most, and Norm had to be the nutsiest boss I ever worked for...(he was the one setting up most of the pranks - between that and the blue angel contests) Anyone remember Project TCG?

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome picture.

Anonymous said...

Hey Roger!

Just had a memory of you having to dig through the camp's kitchen garbage for a Sr. music camper's retainer! How did you get elected to that job?! Didn't it end up being under a picnic table or something like that?

Anonymous said...

I always got the worst jobs...

I also remember cleaning up poop in the pool shower area. Gross.

I just had this funny feeling that we're getting old or something... thinking about all this stuff from years ago...

Nah...

Sue Matthews said...

Roger, I'm sure no one will mention that fact that the picture I posted here was taken 20 years ago this summer...

So good to see you posting here too! I think I remember the poop in the shower room day. I definitely remember the retainer.

Sue Matthews said...

Another note to Roger...

Did you see the picture I posted of all of us at Sharon Jones's wedding? It's here under the heading "Camp Wedding". You'll want to check that one out too.

Fred and Wendy said...

J9 - I don't remember anything but good about you. Those I didn't like...I fired! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sue, I did see that one too. And that picture of my brother somewhere else... I didn't even recognize him... sorry Jeff, if you're reading this... it's the sunglasses.

Anonymous said...

Let's go back a few years and remember the really good times at Selkirk. How times have changed since my first experience there in 1965. I was a young married mother of one and had to abide by the same rules as the campers and camp staff. That meant, can you imagine, an imaginary line down the middle of the camp, and BOYS and GIRLS, never the twain shall meet. Seems to me that Col. Robert Chapman was the ogre :) in charge.

Anonymous said...

I remember the imaginary line down the middle of the Camp.
I remember the first year I went to SMC, Col. Ross called some parents because a few campers crossed that imaginary line. I also remember the "spotlight of heaven" that lit up when campers wanted to walk together, arm-in-arm, back from the campfire. Major Chapman's tune "the spotlight of heaven is on you" echoed everytime his flashlight turned your way.

Being a camper was great and being a counsellor was terrific! So many years of fun and good memories.
Nancy(Ramm)Eden

Anonymous said...

The best DYS'... hands down... the Lewis'! I only worked at camp in '88, and I much preferred being a student or on faculty, but living at camp that summer definitely had its great times. I used to walk around in the evenings with Capt.Doug and Justin and we'd chat and joke and it is one of my favourite memories to this day. I loved that whole family. Of course, who didn't love Todd! You girls were so funny!!!! Anyway, I made such a great connection with them that I even named my first child Justin! hehe! I have nothing but fond memories of the Lewis' - they were great to work for and you always knew where you stood with them, and that you could always count on them if there was ever a problem or story that needed to be shared!
... and in response to natalie's comment, YES, I wish that digital cameras had been around then - I don't have a scanner, so I have no way to put my pictures on here for all to see!!!! one of these days, I'll figure it out!