Wednesday, February 7, 2007

"Don't spend any money while I am gone!"


Okay Mark - you have promoted a funny memory which I can't resist blogging. You mentioned here the replacement of the pool filters. They were huge sand filled cylinders - there were two of them and they were old when we got there. The DC of the day was going on holidays and before he went he was out at the camp looking around. As he was leaving he said, in a stern manner: "Don't spend any money while I am away."


Three days later one of the filters sprang a leak - and well - if you are going to replace one I thought we might as well replace both of them knowing that it would reduce the costs in the long run. I think they were about $4300 each!
Here's Bruce Holbrook who offered to work for free if the girls could wear skimpy bikinis!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lifeguard Bruce Holbrook ... STUD. Coolest of the cool, bravest of the brave. A little rough around the edges too, but Bruce was **THE** ladies man. Many if not all of them swooned over this dude! To top it all off, he drove a 4x4 Jeep!! David Hasselhoff couldn't come close to touching this guy!

There was a rumor once upon a time that Bruce became a Youth Pastor!?! Can anyone clarify that?

Anonymous said...

Wow - there are so many good memories of Camp Selkirk. I remember the amount of food that used to go out of the kitchen - all home made.. We had great staff and it is so good to be able to connect with many of them after all these years. I am still drinking 'Diet Coke' and it is only $24.00 U.S. here in Bermuda for a case. Does anyone remember Buford and the ketchup bottle. I still have the book that Sharon Dannock (Jones) wrote about him - pictures and all. We loved our DY Days. It is hard to believe it was so long ago. (I hope you realize we are getting younger - as you age)
Betty Ann Lewis

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Lewis,

I actually thought of doing a post on Buford, but never did!