Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Smell



J9 reminds us of that lovely aroma down at the beach...rotting fish, seaweed...yuck! And yet at the same time there were times when it was a wonderful place to go.

But for those of us a little older we remember another smell. The ol' dining room, which became the craft hall (or recreation hall) when I was a kid at Camp Selkirk, had a water fountain outside the front door. I needed to take a hayfever tablet (that's another story) and I nearly chooked when I tried to get to the water fountain. Yuck - it smelled like sulfer.

The smell was solved when the then Major Roy Calvert was the DS for Ontario South. Someone will tell me who was the DYS of the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Fred,Ithink it could have been Bob Chapman.

Donna Haskell

Anonymous said...

Actually, Bob Chapman had moved, Roy Calvert followed Bob into the office as the DS. I was the DYS.
We worked on the new water system over the winter months, then in late spring, as it turned out, the new system was implemented at a cost of approx $150,000 which was an exhorbitent sum of money in those days.

Harley
HR Marshall