Monday, February 26, 2007

Before Selkirk

This picture actually comes from my wife. It was among some of Wendy's grandparent's pictures. Some of you will know that Wendy is a Kitney - from Argyle/Hamilton Temple (and is therefore related to the Harris', Marriotts and the Evendens). You will find her Dad Norm in this picture. He's on the left side, third row from the front with dark hair and glasses (about 3 in from the left side).

At any rate this picture I think predates Camp Selkirk by a year or two. I know that Jackson's Point camp was originally purchased by the Territory with the plan that all of Ontario would attend it. Camping ministries were so popular that in 1948 the Divisional Commander of the day, Lt. Colonel Joseph Acton, purchased 86 acres from the Hoover family on the shores of Lake Erie and began Camp Selkirk. But for two years prior to that decision, the division rented a camp and ran their summer program there.

I am wondering if this is one of those camps. You can see that someone is holding a megaphone with the words "Camp Erie Heights" on it. (It's hard to see but it is there.)


Were you there? Do you have any information on this?

We would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic picture! It's amazing how clear it is - you can see everything down to the blade of grass the little boy (front row, far left) is chewing on. How funny! I don't know anyone in this photo but I'm sure they were all just as rambuctious as the campers in my councellor years. Did anyone else notice that it is only boys? Was this once a "boys only" camp?

J9 said...

I'm looking into whether that might be my uncle, Dennis Rayment, in the last seated row, on the right side. If it was, I might be able to get more information...
...I'll keep ya posted....

Anney said...

The kid with the megaphone looks strangely like David Letterman...but I am sure this is of no help! :)

Anonymous said...

Geez, what did these kids do without the internet?