Saturday, March 10, 2007

Men in trees, ladies too





These photos don't do this justice, but here are the early days of the ropes course. It was paid for by two lawyers in Hamilton who wanted to make a difference for teens in the area. The idea of it came from the need to do something more challenging with the inner city kids who were increasingly more demanding in their personal needs. Glenn became the natural choice to train on this and the potential of such a course seemed endless. If I'm not mistaken Sharon Avery even took the Bible program for Senior Music Camp one year and wove it around the use of the ropes course. Here's a few pictures from the early days as it was being finished and Glenn trained.

4 comments:

Sherri Lavender said...

The ropes course was awesome! Such a great addition to the camp. And I was so proud to be dating 'the guy in charge'. I still laugh out loud when Glenn tells the story of one the officers in charge of Moms & Tots camp introducing GLENN this way to a bunch of mostly single women... "And this is the rope course."

And those ladies sure gave him a hard time about his harness!

I also can still picture poor little Philip Water's crying/screaming face as Captain Waters harnessed him in and attempted to hoist him UP into a tree!

You know, I found an acorn the other day that Philip gave to me one of those days, out under the zip line! I have no idea why I kept it for so long, or how I even remembered where I got it. But it was SO sweet, he found a little runt of an acorn for ME!

Anonymous said...

I missed out on the ropes course goodness ... but in prepping the land for for it, I do recall the tractor getting very stuck one day (mud to the top of the rear tires) in the area that eventually became the ropes course.

Anonymous said...

I remember the ropes course. I remember my little brother Nathan Howie went of the zip line at age 4 being the youngest one to go off of it at that time.

Carla said...

So I figure I should let everyone know here that I got engaged to be married on the ropes course! Jonathan Evans was the ropes' director at the time and he thought it romantic to ask me to marry him up in the trees. We were crossing the two parallel lines where you just hold on to one another. That was a bit scary... I actually said to him "what if I say no - will you push me off?!" and looking back on that, I really could have said something sweeter. Oh well, can't change history!