Friday, March 23, 2007

Trees, or the lack thereof

The open field around the cabins and dining hall always seemed a bit bereft of trees in my humble opinion...so one day when driving from the Camp Selkirk to DHQ I noticed a house with a tree spade parked outside (just on the edge of Caledonia). I stopped and after a short conversation he agreed to meet me at the camp on a given day to move trees from the back to the front of the camp. We identified about 22 trees that we could move, and on the day we did so in 8 hours.


It was a great experience and I loved seeing the immediate changes! Mind you the phone company wasn't so happy about our cutting their line into the camp.

The other contributor to our need for trees was the Lion's Club. Each year in conjuction with the International Students (I noticed no one from the staff has mentioned them) they would plant one tree.

5 comments:

J9 said...

I think we need to get Sarah Milmine to comment in here....she was in love with every international student who ever graced the camp. (all the male ones, that is...)

glennlavender said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri Lavender said...

I still remember the International campers singing/chanting "Heidi! Heidi!" Which server were they referring to?!

I have pics of a lot of them too... I even remember some names...

Those were really fun camps to waitress for.

curious said...

I have tons of pics of the international students....alot of them of course with Sarah M in them......and some form there international night which was always fun......I remember the Heidi thing too!
Jodi

J9 said...

Hey, Fred! It's about all these backwards photos you keep posting! You're messing with my sense of equilibrium!