Monday, March 12, 2007

SMC 1990

The year 1990 was Fred's first summer at Selkirk. It's so happens that SMC 1990 was my first camp at Selkirk as my family had just moved to Guelph the month previous from Grand Falls, Newfoundland in the Central Division. Being an Officer's Kid, moving wasn't always easy ... but looking back now this camp really prepared me well for the transition and also set the stage in a big way for who and where I am today. Thanks to everyone at SMC 1990 for making that happen ... it really did make all the difference in the world!

There are a lot of people in this photo that I am still in contact with today, and I know they are friends who will remain for a life time. Even my Brother-in-law is in this photo. Can you find us both? This was two years before he even started dating my sister! There are many here as well that I've lost touch with and wonder where life has taken them. It sure would be great to find you again.

Finally, do you know who the musical guest was at this SMC? What Corps do you see represented here? What individuals here are still involved in music camps today?

10 comments:

Sherri Lavender said...

Is that the year Jason Goldsworthy broke his leg at music camp?

Sue Matthews said...

I found you, Mark with your nice Blue Jays sweatshirt. I think Glenn is in the second row, the last student on the right. My brother, Brian, is beside him.

It looks like Brian, Glenn and Kamal & Sajah Fox were there from Cambridge Citadel that year. Surprisingly, I don't see any faculty from Cambridge. Maybe they were all at Junior?

Anonymous said...

The special guest look like they could be Alf Graham and Karen Gross.And Lois Dix is there.

Donna Haskell

Fred and Wendy said...

I don't think there was a special guest that year. Alf Graham was the Sr. Music Camp Director and I think that Karen did vocal.

Anonymous said...

I remember dropping off my brother Brian and (cousin) Glenn (Lavender) for music camp that year. I stayed around visiting for a bit while they registered.

Glenn was already well known by then, but because of his new hairstyle (see photo), he wasn't always instantly recognized. He would get a general "hi" or "welcome to music camp". Then people would look again, and we'd hear "GLENN! IS THAT YOU?!" It happened a few times. It was amuzing to watch!

Mark--for some reason, I remember you walking around with your trombone, and hearing that you were a "new officer's kid" in the division. I couldn't have told you what year it was before reading your post, but I do remember it. Weird.

Everyone looks so young in that picture!

Anonymous said...

Wow that brings back awsome memories seeing that picture!! I am so sad that my kids won't be able to enjoy Camp Selkirk like we did. What a blast we had.

Anonymous said...

I was pretty sure Ken Bailey from Listowel was guest that year. He was the leader for "A" band.

That is Glenn next to Brian, and yes that's me in the Blue Jays sweatshirt.

Lynn I do remember meeting you that week! Call me crazy, but I think you were wearing a red wind breaker at the time ...

Thanks for posting Leanne. I can see you sitting between Nikki Clarke and Heather Nutty!

Anonymous said...

What a picture! I was on faculty for that camp and am in the picture on the end of the left side in the red and white stripped shirt.

My first music camp on faculty. At least Lorne Barry (hat in the front row) looks funnier than I do! I think he was the theory director.

Anonymous said...

Wow does that picture bring back some hazy, vague memories.

Gerrard Fess said...

I was there too!!! Interesting experience for me!! Was right before I left for college!